Re: centrifugal force

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Alex. F. Burr wrote:

Quote from the latest issue of Science page 485(26 Ap 96)
-
"Any rubble pile rotating at a speed faster than this cutoff would be
torn apart by centrifugal force"

Good quote, you troublemaker you! That should just about muddy any water
that's been cleared. But it really is the type of quote we have to point
out and analyze for beginners if they're ever going to have clarity of
understanding. I can just hear John Archibald Wheeler responding
"There is no force involved -- It is the inertial instructions of
spacetime to matter that the rubble is following, and their is no
centripetal force acting to restrain the natural call of spacetime."

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453