From: Rauber, Joel Phys
To: physic-l
Subject: addendum to : reply to Rick
Date: Wednesday, May 01, 1996 10:02 AM

The solution (a) I gave is not all that different from the spirit of how
one
solves the following mechanics problem in an inertial frame!!

You have a bunch of charged, massive partices, some of them hooked
together
with springs and some with (massless, non-stretchable) ropes attached
between them etc etc. There is also a non-uniform magnetic field
present,
agent unspecified. What is the motion of the system.

One solves this applying Newton's 2nd law, that is solve the equations
of
motion! You never need to worry about using Newton's 3rd law to
whatever it
was that produced the non-uniform magnetic field. You may find it
helpful to
apply the 3rd law between some of the particles present in the system
whose
motions you are trying to analyze.

Joel Rauber
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu