Re: non-inertial frames

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Lew Haddad wrote:

I think most physicists feel strong reservations about the notion of
`fictitious or inertial forces' and I certainly share these reservations.
They are particularly dangerous at the introductory level...

... With this background, I would be interested in comments on the
reason for the use of rotating space stations (as remarked upon by Mark
Sylvester),
especially in reference to plant growth. Plant hormones (auxins, if I recall
correctly) cause stems and roots to grow in opposite directions - a
phenomenon referred to by earthlings as negative and positive geotropisms. I
have a feeling that plants experience most things naively, and that they do
`experience' in some sense that centrifugal tendency measured by r x
omega^2 as just what the doctor ordered to direct their growth.

I would imagine the plants are doing pretty much the same thing they do
at the Earth's surface -- growing stems and leaves in the direction in
which the electrochemical surface forces are exerted on them, and sending
out roots in the opposite direction.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453