----------
From: A. R. Marlow
... but I have trouble with the inertial or near
inertial > frame analysis where gravity produces an acceleration but no
force! > > For the sake of argument, lets make it simple and assume the
earth IS an > inertial frame of reference (stop all rotations). As I
sit
here I still > feel the chair pushing me up (could put a scale under me
and measure the > force--but I won't tell what it reads ;). However,
I'm
not > accelerating. Therefore, as a good Newtonian, I must assume the
net
force on me is zero.

This is not the only conclusion a good Newtonian can come to. You have
TWO
options -- 1) the conclusion you chose above; or 2) since you
obviously
feel a force pressing on you, and yet you are not accelerating, you
could
come to the good Newtonian conclusion that the frame you are using to
measure
accelerations is NONINERTIAL, and therefore Newton's laws need not apply

relative to that frame. The existence of these two logical options (as
Spock would say) should then impel all good Newtonians and other truth
seekers to start carefully checking all forces in the vicinity besides
the
one so obviously being felt, so that they can decide which option is
correct. Use all available means, checking infrared and other spectral
regions for signs of any posible dissipation from hidden dynamical
processes, Etc. If in the end you decide, really in all honesty there's

just the one force acting, then you will be impelled in the direction
Einstein took. If you were in a local inertial frame, you would not
need
such a force to keep you from accelerating, and so you must not be using
local inertial frame.