Re: non-inertial and inertial frames

SNIP>
This also gives me a chance to clear up a slight oversimplification
that has cropped up in this thread and is complicating the discussion
-- the notion that a free fall frame is an inertial frame in
relativity. It is not. It is LOCALLY an inertial frame but it is the
mismatch between free fall frames for separated observers that
constitutes spacetime curvature and so gravity.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926

That "oversimplification" can "complicate" the discussion can be a pitfall
in the teaching of physics. I sometimes wonder about that as I look over
my student evaluations and my scores on the question: "Instructor is able
to simplify difficult material."

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625
Math-Physics Dept sample@lyon.edu
Lyon College