Re: Van de Graaff

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Raymond A. Rogoway wrote:

I've been using the Van de Graff in my high school physics class for years. I
have never had a really successful student hair stand on end demo.

The first thing I tried was having a student stand on a chair, but he got
shocked through the rivets holding the seat to the frame. Then I stacked
up some old physics texts (about 30 cm worth) and had a girl with very
fine hair and clean hair (no conditioner either) stand on the books with
both hands on the VDG. I did not get spectacular results, but sufficient
hair fanned out that the students thought it was pretty cool. I warn them
the day before (a few students with fine hair) to wash and rinse twice
and pass on the conditioner for a day. I teach near Houston, TX where the
humidity is a little on the high side. I get the best results when dry
cold fronts pass through, but I have had success on warm, muggy days as
well (thanks to air conditioning, I guess).

Scott Rippetoe rippetoe@tenet.edu
Academy of Science and Technology voice (713) 292-2615
27330 Oak Ridge School Road fax (713) 298-3292
Conroe, Texas 77385