Re: HELP IN A HURRY!

Lammers,

First of all, I hope that the temperature at the plate is cte.; or in
other words that thermal equilibrium is already achieved.
If not the experiment will be more interesting, because you can show
the non-linear behaviour of the air refraction index Nair=
N0*factor(dT/dt),

I AM DOING AN EXPERIMENT WITH MIRAGES.HERE IS THE BASIC IDEA

/
/
LASER---/
__________
|HOTPLATE|

SORRY FOR THE ROUGH DIAGRAM. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS YOU CAN
CONSIDER THE HOT AIR TO BE A DIFFERENT MEDIUM THAN THE AIR AT ROOM
TEMPERATURE SINCE THE DENSITY IS LESS. I AM USING SNELL'S LAW
n1 SIN01 =n2 SIN02

If a laser light has a speed larger then the light speed at he medium 2
you will see a cone at the light propagation direction like a
light induced( laser induced ) Cerenkov effect. see I. Golub, G.Erez
and R. Shuker at Appl.Phys.B, 31, 75(1983) and references therein.

Good luck!

Yanai

Yanai Krutman,
Senior Engineer
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Kupat Holim Klalit Health Services
Faculty of Engineering Soroka Medical Center
Nuclear Engineering Department Institute of Oncology
POB 653 POB 151
Be'er Sheva 84105 Be'er Sheva 84101
ISRAEL ISRAEL
email: yanai@prism.bgu.ac.il phone: 972-7-400682