Re: Van de Graaff

I've been using the Van de Graff in my high school physics class for years. I
have never had a really successful student hair stand on end demo. Does anyone
have the secret. Also, after 25 years I stumbled across the stacked pie pans on
the top of the VDG. I had never done it before. Wow. Instant success. Lead to
lots of discussions, lots of "do it again", and the kids suggested many
alternative things to do. I used small 3-4" Al pie pans upside down and painted
a face on the VDG. Looked like a person with a hat on.

Raymond A. Rogoway * The woods are lovely, dark and deep *
Independence High School * But I have promises to keep *
1776 Educational Park Drive * And miles to go before I sleep *
San Jose, CA 95133-1795 * And miles to go before I sleep. *

Internet: rrogowa@cello.gina.calstate.edu
rogoway@nes.nersc.gov
AOL rayrogoway@ aol.com
Fax 408.926.6785