Relative homor/thanks

Dear friends,

Thanks for the commenets on the Barn Paradox. Someday I hope this will move
from the state of "I can parrot the words" to "I really understand". I hope
to find a couple of the references that were recommended.I have heard of
experiments to confirm time dilation (muon decay and the like), are there
similar ones for length contraction or is this a logical consequence of
reference frame shift (the muon "thinking" the distance must be shorter than
we do).

Meanwhile, I have some end of the year humor. Last year I saw a cartoon that
I have tried to draw here showing a student's mind (SM) and a professor
(not shown) hoping that if an idea is made to go fast enough sideways (ear to
ear) it may fit in the students's mind.
___________
| fast Idea |
|__________|
____________
| proper |
| S |
| M |
|___________|

But there is a problem. From the frame of reference of the idea, the
student's mind has shrunk to such a degree that there is no hope for it to
fit! ;-)
__________________________
| Proper Idea |
|__________________________|

_____
| |
| S |
| M |
|____ |

What's a frazzled teacher / professor to do? Exams are a real end to this
year's efforts!

ken fox
(Remaining in a state of relative insecurity, but growing. thanks to you
all.)