non-inertial: part II

This is a collection of minor points and responses to various item mentioned
in previous posts.

P. Camp wrote and A Marlow amened the following:

Forces are interactions between objects and necessarily come in
pairs. If you can't identify the other object (and you can't with a
centrifugal "force") then it ain't there. It is an effect, not a
force.

A deep, resounding reverberating YES -- and we even have a name for
those mysterious "effects" that appear in noninertial frames; they
are called (surprise,surprise) "accelerations."

I have some comments about this definition of force and how it relates to
the discussion.

1) both folks above agree, as everybody has so far that there is an effect.
That is the reason for my not liking the word "fictitious" because there is
a "real" effect. In this vain I'm more comfortable with "apparent force";
I also like the suggestionof "inertial force", although I understand the
objection that was raised against that. I still prefer so far the term
"kinematical force", since the effect is a kinematic effect.

2) I think Marlow must have a contradiction with above definition. On the
one hand the gravitational force involves an interaction between objects and
would be called a "real" force. But on the other hand Marlow's postings
have told us that the gravitational force is a fictional force and not a
"real" force. Which is it? It can't be both?

Some speculation on my part:
(Actually this may be only a contradiction, because we have no
self-consistant theory of quantum-gravity). An interaction picture of
forces, I think necessarily brings in an exchange particle viewpoint
expressing the interaction, and is therefore inherently quantum mechanical.)
comments on this anyone?
________________________
Elsewhere (a couple of times) Marlow wrote in two different posts:

What are these outward
directed centrifugal "kinematical" forces doing? The answer is: nothing!
They don't exist, which is why they cause no effects, which is why they are
called fictitious.

just don't confuse everything by renaming
the accelerations "forces," and then expecting everyone to keep doing
the mental gymnastics necessary to keep reminding themselves that these
"forces" don't have the properties that normally define forces.

These fictitious forces to have all the effects and properties I normally
associate with forces. (I'm not using the pressure sensor definition of
force, see (non-inertial: part I)). Namely, I measure an acceleration
associated with them, by plotting the position of my object in the frame of
reference (non-inertial of course, that's where I'm doing the measurements).
The work-energy theorem seems to work, namely when that force is the only
force present, the work done by it seems to equal the change in the kinetic
energy of the object. And from all of this, all of mechanics seems to
follow. (I hope this last isn't too rash of a statement, but I'm sure it
will be corrected if need be.)

Its for this reason that the idea of treating these terms as real forces is
useful. It in fact allows me to avoid a lot of mental gymnastics to be able
to simply say that these are forces measured in this particular frame of
reference, along with all other measurements made in that frame.

Marlow has reminded us that we need a precise definition of Force, I agree
and would like to know if Marlow has one other than the pressure sensor
definition that he has given. (I might add that I haven't given a precise
definition, yet)

And as long as it is recognized that they will not do any of the things
expected of forces in ANY reference frame. Might as well declare
counterfeit money to be real in certain circumstances, and expect not to
confuse anybody.

I can't resist responding to this analogy. Counterfeit money quite often
spends just as well as real money and therefore is the same as money when it
spends.

I might add, the price I pay with my viewpoint, is that I have to
distinguish between two kinds of forces when I transform between inertial
and non-inertial frames, kinematical forces and physical forces (the ones
that have a physically identifiable agent responsible for them). But Marlow
has to distinguish between two kinds of accelerations when he transforms
between two different frames of reference, those caused by forces and those
caused by kinematical motion of the non-inertial frame relative to the
inertial frame.

I think the mental gymnastics is the same for both viewpoints
(mathematically it amounts to, do I divide by the mass or not on both sides
of the equation, which is why we agree on the numerical answers to mechanics
problems, at least when we do the mathematics correctly). However,
operationally the viewpoints differ, From measuring the motion of an object
in a frame of reference (I don't know a priori if its inertial or
non-inertial) I can't seperate out the acceleration into its two components,
as Marlow says I must if I'm to understand the motion in terms of forces. My
viewpoint says I don't need to perform this seperation for my two kinds of
force in order to understand the relationship between the forces and the
acceleration of my object, I don't need to because they both contribute to
the acceleration of the object in the normal manner and therefore the two
forces get treated on the same footing. This allows me to not have to
decide whether or not the measurements were performed in an inertial or in a
non-inertial frame of reference (I may not know and furthermore may not be
able to know!!!)

I'll expand on this idea in my third postion "non-inertial: part III"

Thanks for your patience and I hope everyone bothering to read all this is
enjoying it and that it is helping to sharpen one's thoughts on these
matters. It is for me.

Joel Rauber
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu