wobblers

Does anyone know of the theory worked out on coins, etc which
after they are spun on their rim and then a decay mode sets in during
which the coin wobbles along the rim before finally coming to rest?

I'm sure it's been done somewhere; and is probably similar to top
precession but with a frictional force added. The question came up to me
from an english prof. colleague who noticed the effect on a dropped pan
lid on his kitchen floor. He even measured the decay of the period of
wobble. I think he missed his calling as an experimental physicist!
Thanks for any help.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College