Re: Poor university teaching????? Excellent high school teaching!!!

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Robert W. Blankinship wrote:

in high school with their poor performance in college. Perhaps they should
try and teach instead of lecture.

By the way, most of my students score 5's on the AP test when they take it.
You can learn and teach WELL without having a physics major. Try teaching
better in the university, please.

Bob Blankinship

Wow!!! I'm detecting a very interesting trend here. Two weeks ago
I spent a day in a state wide meeting between high school and college
level teachers to discuss implementation of national science standards in
the state. The morning session was very useful, the afternoon session
eye opening! That session involved the high school teachers bashing the
college personnel about "lecturing" and not "doing a good job teaching",
and why aren't we doing "hands on" work through the senior year physics
courses.

Now I see the same statements from a different part of the
country. I came away from the meeting with the general feeling that the
two groups ( at least in Connecticut) need to sit down and really find
out what the other is about.

Bob, before I respond to your specifc statements, will you please
tell me what basis you have for your statements? I tried to respond to
the HS teachers at the meeting, but they did not seem to want to listen.
BTW, no college person at that meeting ever said the HS were doing a poor
job; all were there to try and make more connections between the HS and
college levels.

Mike Monce
Physics
Connecticut College