Physics teaching qualifications

This is the quote I recently read'" Of these responding teachers, less
than 1 in 5 had had a year or less of college physics (still too high,but
not as bad as 1 in 3). Among public school teachers, 3/4 (74%) had either
full or temporary physics certification, while 24% had certification in
another science or mathematics. The remaining 2% either had no
certification or were
certified in a non-science or math field."

I have taught physics for more than ten years. I have had about one year
of university physics back in 1966, and that's all. I am currently teaching
in one of the best schools around, and I fell that to teach PSSC physics
requires a deep understanding of all the concepts and applications. I am at
the point now where schools do not even bother to look at my college
transcript. The experience is enough. I realize that initially a science
teacher who is asked to teach physics and does not have the background will
have to work exceptionally hard, but he can still make the subject
interesting, perhaps more than one who has had plenty of background. My
students have never suffered.

One last comment. In my current school, I'm teaching honors biology,
chemistry, regular physics, and of course, honors physics. I feel teachers
need to have a broad background across the sciences, and you'd be surprised
at the amount of integration I do between the sciences.

Bob Blankinship