Re: Bimodal Grade Distributions

Brian Wegley writes:
It has been relayed to me often that University professors see a bimodal
distribution in the grades they assign to students. As it has been relayed
to me, the bimodal distribution has been described as a result of where they
(the students) have gone to high school. I would be interrested to know if
it is where they went to HS or if they had physics in HS.

Is it that students are being inappropriatley prepared? Is it that they
simply aren't being prepared (20% of HS students nationally take physics)?
bwegley@gbsfs02.glenbrook.k12.il.us

The same distribution is seen in Chemistry. It was rather strongly present in
my last exam in a preparatory course with NO chemistry prerequisite although
there is a math prerequisite.

My distinct impression is that a large part of the lower group consists of
students who do not put forth the effort required to be successful.
Determination and a strong work ethic contribute significantly to success.

Frank M. Lanzafame Department of Chemistry
Monroe Community College 1000 East Henrietta Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623 (716) 292-2396
Internet: flanzafame@eckert.acadcomp.monroecc.edu