Re: length of freshman physics, was Re: Aims of a Freshamn Physics Course

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, John Gastineau wrote:

Looking at more reasonable paces, I wonder what fraction of schools take a
full three semesters to do classical intro physics as opposed to two
semesters. As we move toward taking more care in instruction, is there a
reaction to extend the length of intro physics from two to three semesters?
Has anyone done that successfully?

We have had a 3 sem. calculus based general physics sequence for many
years now, but we are not at all sure that it has helped our students be
any more successful. For several reasons we are now considering
returning to a 2 sem. sequence, but we believe that we will need to
change the structure and approach of that course for it to be successful.
I am, therefore, very interested in a discussion the goals of general
physics and what topics it needs to cover. I would also like to read
evaluations of alternate approaches, textbooks and other materials etc.

Al Clark
NC Central U