Calculus/Algebra Based Physics

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks and have very much
enjoyed the discussions.

I wonder if you can help me with a decision. Ozarks Technical Community
College is a relatively new but rapidly growing community college. To
date, we have only been able to offer the algebra based general physics
course. We would like to offer the calculus based course, but initially
we would have a hard time obtaining the enrollment necessary to jusitify
the course. I have been aware of several other colleges that have
offered both courses at the same time in the same classroom, using the
fourth lecture hour in the calculus based course to cover the calculus
applications and problems. I wonder if you would share with me your
opinions on the pros and cons, dos and don'ts, etc., of such an
arrangement. I feel it might be workable with small class sizes and it
seems an option I must consider. I would value your opinions.

While I am asking for advise, should the first semster of calculus be a
prerequisite or corequisite to the first semester of a calculus based
general physics sequence.

Joe D. Darling jdarling@emh1.otc.cc.mo.us
Instructor of Physics and Physical Science
Ozarks Technical Community College
815 North Sherman Avenue Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 895- 7295 (417) 895-7249 FAX