Re: Aims of a Freshamn Physics Course

I have put together the contributions from other readers and come up with
this as a suggested list of goals for Freshman Physics.

Goals for Freshman Elementary Classical Physics

1) A basic knowledge of the concepts of physics.
relating to: motion, forces, energy, and the atomic nature of matter.

2) The ability to apply these concepts to concrete situations.

3) An understanding of the mathematical expression of these concepts.

4) An ability to solve CONCEPTUAL AND numerical problems.

5) An appreciation of how the discipline of physics relates to biology
and chemistry.

6) An appreciation for the character, effectiveness and limitations of
scientific inquiry.

7) An understanding of the concept of measuring and associated
uncertainties as related to the scientific goal of building mathematical
models that describe the behaviour of the physical universe.

8) Develop the ability to construct a multi-step logical argument.

9) Ability to deduce a mechanism from observations of the system's
behaviour

10) Be able to integrate several concepts to explain more complicated
situations

11) be able to communicate results clearly, whether in speech, in
writing, using math, or with figures.

12) A familiarity with the great names of physics & their contribution.

My question is whether the order reflects the importance of each goal and
if the assessment will reflect this order ?

My own view is that enhancing the student's ability to think rationally
and to reason out the processes behind an event, in a Physics context, are
very important (item 9) but would hate to have to explain my 'pass rate' if
I attempted to test the student's ability to carry out this activity. So
many of my students only wish to be told what to learn and what the exam
will be like that I despair of producing creative problem solvers able to
handle concepts and construct reasoned multilevel arguments. I still try.

2 cents worth.

David Bailey ! Faculty of Science & Technology,
University of Western Sydney, Nepean ! P.O. Box 10, KINGSWOOD 2747
Phone (047) 360 429 Fax (047) 360 713 ! Australia