Moseley's Plot and equation

Again I come for help.

The IB Higher level curriculum expects a qualitative understanding of
Moseley's equation that states:

sqrt f = a(Z-b).

The plot is interesting and its historical value is clear. For the K series
b=1 as photons are emited when L or M electrons fall to fill the hole left in
the K shell. b =1, my reference(Tipler's Modern Physics) tells me as the one
remaining electron in the K shell seems to "screen" the nucleus so that a
nucleus Z acts as if it were Z - 1. I think (hope) I understand that.

I ran into trouble by letting my mouth point out that for the L series, where
the L shell is temporarily lacking an electron, the the value of b = 7.4.
This value is apparently determined from his plot. One of my brighter
students,Ben, who hopes to pursue theoretical Physics, argures that by the
earlier reasoning, the value shouldbe at least 9. He argued it should exceed
9 but I could not follow his logic.

I have never taught this part of Physics before and am insecure as the
dickens. I am enjoying trying to learn it but.... Can anyone help me out
with a reply forBen?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Fox
Smoky Hill High School