RE: Subject: exams, crib cards, etc.

I've "lurked with interest" on this thread since it started.

In my undergraduate days we sometimes could use formula sheets, sometimes a
list of "useful and useless" formulae were provided. The practice
continued when I was a TA. I recall that there was little difference in
the exams or the grades. Lecturers and recitation instructors alike
stressed that the value of the "cheat sheet" was in preparing it - if
properly done the student does not need to refer to it.

My favorite was one in intro physics: on one side it said F = ma, and the
cryptic comment "you can't push a rope". The other side showed Linus (from
Peanuts) with his blanket, saying "there is no problem so large or
complicated that it cannot be run away from". The student got an A.
--
Department of Physics * *