Re: Help w/ Relativity Problem?

Jonathan,

Maybe I'm missing something too, but I agree with YOU. The book's answer
to part b is simply wrong. I don't follow Marlow's explanation for why
you supposedly CAN just apply the time dilation factor. You can't because
the time interval in the frame of the spaceship is measured by clocks that
are separated along the direction of motion and, therefore, out of sync.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-4396
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/