Re: MCATs

Rick,

The GREs do exactly the same thing. One could even argue there are many
situations where doing something is better than doing nothing even if you do
the wrong thing. Or so they used to say to junour officers in the military.
We don't place absolute trust in ANY experts, including our doctors, or
at least I don't :^}.

On a related note, I did hear a shuttle astronaut speak here at Purdue recently.
She said that the unofficial training motto on the shuttle went something
like "trust the computer and think before acting -- there is NO emergency
situation so bad you can't make it worse; particularly on takeoff and re-
entry"

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics, danmac@physics.purdue.edu
http://physics.purdue.edu/~danmac/homepage.html (yes, white socks)
CUSeeMe Digital Videoconferencing on 128.210.67.149 and 128.210.67.147

Rick Tarara

I'm doing some MCAT prep session--basically HOW TO READ THE
QUESTIONS--and have discovered that this test USES NO GUESSING
FORMULA--in fact the directions ENCOURAGE students to guess. I know how
I feel about this (negatively as you might guess), but I'd like to hear
what others think about a National, Standardized Test, used to evaluate
student preparation for Medical School that encourages guessing. Can
anyone offer a rationale for this?

Richard W. Tarara Updated software (3-15-96) now available
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556 FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT
219-284-4664 http://estel.uindy.edu/aapt/rickt/software
rtarara@saintmarys.edu